November is nearly here, but the past couple weeks have been filled with a lot of great things in the WP community. From Halloween sales to new beta releases, it’s been an eventful few days. Let’s dive right in!
Our October 30th WordPress Roundup
WordPress 4.4 Beta 1
The beta test for the latest WP core update was released on back on the 22nd of the month. This update comes with some nice fixes to make WordPress much more user and viewer friendly.
- Responsive Images | One of the main updates that are in this beta test is the automatic resizing of the images in posts and pages. With this feature, WordPress will deliver the best image size based on things like screen size and resolution.
- Embeds made easy | WordPress will now make automatically embed rich content from sites that support the oEbed standard feature. This will now also include all WordPress sites that update to this feature.
The 2016 theme was also released and is one of the better minimalistic looking ones that I think we’ve seen thus far.
Speaking of minimalistic, here is a great roundup of 13 WP themes that favor that minimal design that is trending these days.
Orion is Launched
If you’re a ManageWP user, then the update to the user interface (called Orion) was likely one that you were happy to see. The features as far as what ManageWP can offer is the same, but the interface has seen a vast improvement.
The focus has turned to making sure the Orion dashboard is very workflow friendly. There is now the ability to add tags and clients to help keep everything very organized.
If you haven’t tried this plugin out before, then this would be a great time to test it out. I have used ManageWP for years and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a way to manage client sites or multiple ones of your own.
Speaking of ManageWP, did you know that they run a rather amazing post syndication syndication community called ManageWP.org?
This is a wonderful place to find a ton of topics about WordPress from all over the web and where you can connect with the WordPress community as a whole.
As far as big happenings, that about covers it, but there were plenty of amazing posts that were worth sharing:
- EMAIL MARKETING ROUNDUP: 6 POPULAR PLATFORMS WORTH CONSIDERING
- 35+ Stunning Examples of Real Life Websites Using WooCommerce
- WordPress SEO In Depth: Image Optimization
- Why you need a strong about page (and how to create one)
- Introducing the new Pro category in ManageWP.org
- How to Decide What Features in Your Plugin Should be Free or Premium
- Commentluv: Misunderstood and Abused
- Social Media Automation: How to Effortlessly Scale Social Growth with WordPress
- The Real Reason Google Hates Your Subscription Based Premium Content
As a side note, I managed to get through speaking at the WordCamp conference without dying. The video has yet to be posted on WordPress.tv, but keep an eye out for it. It was great fun and you’ll learn some really funny things about me and what I do.
‘Til next time!